Jul 1, 2013

{Review} The Elite by Kiera Cass

Kiera Cass
Pages: 323
Publisher: HarperTeen
Format: Hardcover
Source: Target
Age Group: Young Adult
The Elite (The Selection, #2)Date Published: April 23, 2013

The hotly-anticipated sequel to the New York Times bestseller The Selection.
Thirty-five girls came to the palace to compete in the Selection. All but six have been sent home. And only one will get to marry Prince Maxon and be crowned princess of Illea.

America still isn’t sure where her heart lies. When she’s with Maxon, she’s swept up in their new and breathless romance, and can’t dream of being with anyone else. But whenever she sees Aspen standing guard around the palace, and is overcome with memories of the life they planned to share. With the group narrowed down to the Elite, the other girls are even more determined to win Maxon over—and time is running out for America to decide.

Just when America is sure she’s made her choice, a devastating loss makes her question everything again. And while she’s struggling to imagine her future, the violent rebels that are determined to overthrow the monarchy are growing stronger and their plans could destroy her chance at any kind of happy ending.

I read this one in the hospital and it's been a couple weeks since I've looked at it, so this review might be a little short. I do know what I think of it though, so no worries there.

I felt that the beginning was really stupid. The first like 50-60 (maybe more) pages were just America thinking Do I pick Maxon or Aspen? They're both really nice. Oh, maybe I do hate Maxon. Or maybe not. I don't really know how I feel. wah wah wah. And as I said in my review of The Selection, I really don't like Aspen, so her teeter tottering between the two just kind of pissed me off. But, once I got past America's poor decision making skills, the book got interesting. She develops this political conscience and does some stupid stuff, but also does some things right (as most humans do) and I liked her (and the book) better. 

The beginning really messed up this book for me, though. America just has some serious commitment issues and can't make up her mind- ever. Like, at all. One page she's lovin' Maxon and the next she's running to Aspen (who tells her she wouldn't be good at things and that also made me mad). I'm just thinking Girl you gotta pick one already and she just won't. I feel like that's the main thing driving this series, even though there's no way in Hell that she and Aspen can be together (or make a sane couple). Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike love triangles (hello, I loved the Infernal Devices), but even Bella wasn't this wishy washy between Edward and Jacob. 

She gives Maxon a really hard time for things he can't control. He's the prince, he has to make hard decisions and sometimes those decisions hurt people, and she has to understand that. Unfortunately, she's crazy and jealous even though she pushes him away for no good reason at all and I really like Maxon. 

For all it's faults, The Elite still ended leaving me interested in what happens next. Because, like I said, I did end up liking America better near the end than at the beginning. She still pissed me off, but she grew up a little and now I gotta know how she and Maxon end up together (I will die if she and Aspen get together. like, no). So, even though I spent this review complaining about it, I still give The Elite 3 mustaches. And a lot of people really liked it, so don't take my word for it, read it and then come dispute what I have to say (I love a good debate) or agree with me and complain.


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what people think, and commenting lets me know you were here! Speak your minds! (Please :D)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...