Apr 4, 2013

{Review} The Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead

Richelle Mead
Pages: 401
Publisher: Razorbill
Format: Hardcover
Source: Library
Age Group: Young Adult
The Indigo Spell (Bloodlines, #3)Date Published: February 12, 2013

In the aftermath of a forbidden moment that rocked Sydney to her core, she finds herself struggling to draw the line between her Alchemist teachings and what her heart is urging her to do. Then she meets alluring, rebellious Marcus Finch--a former Alchemist who escaped against all odds, and is now on the run. Marcus wants to teach Sydney the secrets he claims the Alchemists are hiding from her. But as he pushes her to rebel against the people who raised her, Sydney finds that breaking free is harder than she thought. There is an old and mysterious magic rooted deeply within her. And as she searches for an evil magic user targeting powerful young witches, she realizes that her only hope is to embrace her magical blood--or else she might be next.


Oh, I loved this book!! I had been dying for it, but I'm broke so I had to request it from the library. I was just about to buy it, when I found it on my bed because my grandma had gone to the library and gotten it for me- and hadn't told me. It was a nice surprise.

Anyways, I love Richelle Mead's writing style and that wasn't any different with The Indigo Spell. Sydney is such an interesting heroine, and I especially love how different she is from Rose. Where Rose was reckless and confident, Sydney is careful and calculated. Rose never had any doubts about her body or the way she looked, and Sydney has some major issues with herself that were addressed at the end of The Golden Lily (by Adrian- swoon). Throughout The Indigo Spell, Sydney is making herself eat more, and a lot of her friends are noticing and telling her how much better she looks. I loved that. As a girl, I've definitely struggled with the whole obsessing over my weight thing for years, and I really related to Sydney, as I'm sure most of us can. I just really appreciated the way it was addressed, and it was nice. It's not just because of that that I love Sydney so much- she's also very caring and smart and sweet, and she doesn't realize it. She tries to do what's best for everyone else all the time, and very rarely what's best for her. It pissed me off at times, but it's just how she is and everything she did was completely in her character. She's changed so much since we first met her in Blood Promise (VA #4). She's accepted the moroi & dhampirs as people (though she doesn't want to admit it) and she's coming to grips with her abilities. She's less controlling than she used to be (though, she's still pretty OCD). I've really loved seeing her character change.

(Sorry not sorry for my fangirling) Anyways, this book as a whole was incredible. There were those Sydrian moments we've loved since the beginning (not the makeout scenes- the friend ones), in which Adrian proves to be a better man than Rose ever thought he was. And Eddie & Angeline are hilarious as a couple (Eddie gets really confused by her). And then Jill shocks everyone by acting so much older than 15 (she gives shockingly sound advice). OH and there's mini dragon involved. And Adrian likes to use the fake name Jet. It's constantly funny and then heartbreaking, and sometimes you can't even tell the two apart. SO MANY SYDRIAN FEELS.

image


image

So, yeah. This is The Indigo Spell. I highly recommend reading this series, but you gotta read Vampire Academy first! (I guess you don't have to but I love the backstory stuff that you know about Adrian because of it) Anyways, this is a five stache book for me!


 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what people think, and commenting lets me know you were here! Speak your minds! (Please :D)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...