Jul 4, 2012

Touch of Frost

So, I just finished this with an exclamation of "Oh, that's so cute!" which is always kind of a good thing, right? So, gushy review time!


Touch of Frost (Mythos Academy #1)
Jennifer Estep

Touch of Frost (Mythos Academy, #1)
My name is Gwen Frost, and I go to Mythos Academy — a school of myths, magic and warrior whiz kids, where even the lowliest geek knows how to chop off somebody's head with a sword and Logan Quinn, the hottest Spartan guy in school, also happens to be the deadliest.

But lately, things have been weird, even for Mythos. First, mean girl Jasmine Ashton was murdered in the Library of Antiquities. Then, someone stole the Bowl of Tears, a magical artifact that can be used to bring about the second Chaos War. You know, death, destruction and lots of other bad, bad things. Freaky stuff like this goes on all the time at Mythos, but I'm determined to find out who killed Jasmine and why—especially since I should have been the one who died. . .
So, I had been super excited for this book, just 'cause I love mythology and it just kinda looks cool, you know? And I am glad to say that I was not disappointed! It had the sword fighting and monsters that one comes to expect from YA based on mythology. It also had an adorable heroine and great minor characters and an interesting plot.

It starts off with us meeting Gwen Frost as she confronts the mean popular girl for stealing the band geek's bracelet. And she knew the popular chick (Daphne) had stolen it, because she is a Gypsy and has psychometry- a gift in which she can touch something and feel and see everything involved with it. And then Jasmine dies & nobody cares and Gwen wants to figure out what really happened to her. & that's the major plot of the book: Gwen is the only one who cares about the snotty rich girl who died, tries to uncover her secrets, needs some help, gets to know Logan Quinn (class player) better along the way, realizes he isn't that bad, beats some bad guys, uncovers some secrets, and learns a lot about herself. It was fun, once I really got into it. The mythology was cool, because they talked about myths and whatnot that I haven't learned much about (i.e. Loki, Nike). The plot was interesting, and very informative. I loved the whole school for the children of myth thing (even though it's a little like Camp Half-blood). It was cool.

I loved the characters, it just took some time to get used to them. I mean, Gwen kind of reminds me of me Freshman year, all "Oh I have no friends. Nobody likes me. I don't fit in." But, she was sweet, and a little abrasive. I like that in a heroine. I also really liked Daphne (I know, I know. Trust me. She's likeable.). Logan is still a little bit of a wild card for me. I'm not sure if he's crushworthy or not. Hopefully I'll learn more about him in the next book? Oh, & I just loved Grandma Frost. She was so sweet and adorable, and her relationship with Gwen reminds me of mine with my mom's mom, so I really liked that.

The cover is GORGEOUS. The cover-Gwen is so pretty & I love the violet eyes they gave her. & the gargoyle & the school in the corner? SO cool. :)

I definitely give this one 5 stars! I was a little hesitant at the beginning, but it was really really good. AND it has a pretty cover. I highly recommend it people.




<end transmission>

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what people think, and commenting lets me know you were here! Speak your minds! (Please :D)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...